Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Stromal Fibrosis

 suem - Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:48 pm

Hi, I am a 35 year old with a history of multiple breast biopsy's. I had a fibroadenoma removed from my R Breast in 1995, stromal fibrosis removed from my R Breast (same area) in 2002, (the surgeon stated he did not remove all of the stromal fibrosis because he would have had to remove over 1/2 of my breast). I am now presenting with a return of the stromal fibrosis in my right breast, a larger mass that it was in 2002, and a new area of thickening in my L breast. I have had a bilateral mammogram and an ultrasound, which did show enlarged ducts in my L breast, but other than that, my breasts are so dense, not much could be seen.

I saw my surgeon today and he just wants to follow up in 2 months (he did my other two surgeries).

I am concerned that something might get missed. Is there any other tests that can better show these areas in my breasts and am I at greater risk of developing a breast cancer or other type of cancer?

Thank you,

 indigo36d - Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:42 am


Women with benign hyperplasia of the breast or fibrocystic breast disorders have a slightly higher (20 vs 8 percent) risk for breast cancer depending on other variables particularly a family history of breast cancer . A women with family history of breast cancer with or without stromal fibrosis or other benign disorders of the breast has an increased risk of developing breast cancer. You might also consider asking your Dr to refer you for genetics testing and counseling. This entails gathering /evaluating with you a family health history and in particular a history of breast cancer and other malignancies in addition to some blood or tissue testing. The most commonly monitored genetic markers indicating increased risk of breast cancer are BRCA-1 and BRCA-2.

This is an interesting website related to your concerns

Click here!


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us