Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast Redness

merrmerr - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:01 am

I had a very enlarged lymph node removed from under my arm, it showed no cancer in the biopsy...however I now have redness all around my breast encircling the nipple, I had the surgery about 6 weeks ago, should I be alarmed?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

User avatar Hi,

First of all congratulations regarding the results of the lymph gland. I can only guess what the redness is since I have not examined your case in person. I think you should inform your doctor as it could be an inflammation / infection which requires antibiotic therapy. Paget's disease of the nipple (which is a cancer) can present with a picture similar to dermatitis / eczema that does not respond to antibiotics.

Please have a doctor check it out.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us