Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Post hysterectomy? 8cm adenexal mass ovarian origin

jillryremom - Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello I am 37 years of age, I had a abdominal hysterectomy 9/07, everything removed due to size of fibroid except L ovary. 6months ago I experienced some L sided pain followed by Lower back discomfort, hormonal changes night sweats, indigestion, increased abdominal girth and weight gain around mid section 20+ pounds. I new something was wrong and thought that I was going into early menopause. Followed up with a new GYN and was sent for an ultrasound for a possible cyst. I now have been told that I have a large complex adenexal cyst/mass?? stated to be 8cm and probable need for surgey. My sister had breast cancer at age 24. Is there an increased risk that this could be cancer? What questions should I ask, and is ovarian cancer something that grows quickly. I just had the hysterectomy a little over a year and would have thought they would have noticed something on the ovary that was left behind. Thank you for your help I am just a little scared. Going to the GYN next week.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 am

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are doing well and that your visit to the gynecologist went well.

Obviously, there are several reasons for concern. The fact that the mass is complex (solid/cystic) as well as the fact that it grew so quickly.

To answer your question about your risk, yes, unfortunately a personal / family history of ovarian / breast cancer is a strong risk factor (2-6x at risk).

That said it should be noted that the incidence of ovarian cancer is lowest in premenopausal women.

Please keep this thread updated! Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us