Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Prostate Cancer

Question: Anal sex after prostate surgery

 stillhere1947 - Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 am

I'm a closeted gay man who, almost two years ago, had surgery to remove a cancerous prostate. Thankfully, all of my PSA tests since the surgery have indicated no return of the cancer and I'm in good shape in all other areas. Now I'm wondering if and when I can start having anal [as the insertee] sex again. I'm asking simply for a medical answer. For the record, my partner ALWAYS used condoms and will continue to do so if we get the ok to start having anal sex again. Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am

User avatar Hello,

Thank you for your question.

Regarding anal sex and prostate cancer, it obviously poses no increased risk of recurrence as I am sure you are aware. However, I understand that your concern is whether anal sex can affect the area of surgery. I am assuming this is a retro pubic resection. If you underwent a perineal resection there are concerns about higher rates of rectal incontinence.

Transrectal manipulations such as a rectal exam or transrectal sonar or biopsy are known sometimes to raise the PSA levels temporarily and can affect follow up if the prostate is intact. Even vigorous cycling and heterosexual activity can cause a transient rise in PSA levels. In your case I am assuming that there isn't any prostate tissue left.

It would be difficult for me to answer this question without having all the data. I am unable to give you the go ahead on this forum. I understand your need for discretion and you may consider a second opinion at a University Hospital where staff will approach your concern in a professional manner.

I hope that helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us