Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph nodes behind ear after eating

Adrian1975 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 am

I have just had a blood test recently and found out I have a high White cell count of 11.9 when the max range is about 11. I have also had my lymph nodes behind my ear and in the back and in front of my right ear swell up. I also recently got my hair bleached blonde in which caused a reaction to my scalp. now it seems when i consume any amount of food, my lymph glands behind my ears start to swell up and then they go down a little, but accompanying the swelling, my neck feels very sore and tender. i am a little worried about myself

Thanks

Adrian.
 beebopalooza - Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:51 pm

I have had very bad reactions to hair dyes. The commercial brands contain ppd which causes sensitivity in some. i used to dye my hair about every 2 months without problems but about 2 yrs ago i started getting itchy rashes around my ears and down my back. Well im not 40 and have more gray hair then my mother so i continued to dye my hair trying several different brands ..all the same reaction only each time i dyed my hair the reactions got worse the nodes behind my ears and all over my neck started swelling and would stay swollen i started wheezing stomach and gut problems. i had to quit using the hair dyes (3 months ago). i have since switched to all natural dyes ( henna and indigo) and my swollen glands have noticeably shrank. these hair dyes are horrible for your body. ppd is the same ingredient they use in black henna ( no such thing as natural black henna)but several ppl have had reactions matter of fact i think ppds are illegal in several other countries.

anyway i guess my point is it is entirely possible your nodes are swollen because of the irritation on your scalp and i strongly suggest you avoid using any type of hair dye because once you have a reaction ALL subsequent reactions get worse i think its what they call a type 2 sensitivity ppds have even been linked to cancer they are HORRIBLE for your body...

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us