Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: a lump find on the inside and outside of breast

kkmom - Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I found a lump on my breast today in the shower, I think. When I got out to look at it, it looks like a really large pimle without a head, but it is large under the skin too. It is really red, warm and sore. Should I be concerned now, should I wait and see? I am 34 years old, the only know breast cancer in my family is two great aunts.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm

User avatar Hello,

Any woman who suspects a breast lump should be examined right away. Please note that even physical examination by a trained physician is not conclusive and many doctors request a mammogram in addition to the exam to be sure.

A painless lump discovered while a woman is showering is a classic presentation of breast cancer. That doesn't mean that you should be alarmed but you should understand the importance of getting checked.

Breast cancer is not the only cause of a breast lump but its surely the most dangerous and should be excluded right away.

My best to you,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us