Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: breast lump with intramammary node

spunky80 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi!

I am 28 year old and have been noticing changes in my left breast for 2 years. 2 years ago i wok up one morning and my breast had doubed in seize, so I saw a doc and had it scanned which showed nothing. Then a year ago I noticed a lump in the same breast and again had it scanned, this time it showed a fibroid which the doc said was normal and told me not to worry , but get it scanned every year. This year I have noticed another lump in my opposite armpit and still have the first lump. I have also lost 25 kilograms in 8 weeks (unintentionally), I have had an ultrasound and I am alittle worried as I carn't make sense of the results, can you help me??? I do have a doc's appointment but cannot get in to see him for three weeks. ( he must be good then right?? ha ha)

Here are the results:-there are small lymph nodes with normal morphology in the axillae bilaterally. Between 9 and 10 o'clock in the right breast laterally, there is a 10 x 7 x 3mm well-defined hypoechoic lesion with a fatty hilum in keeping with a small intramammary node. There are small foci of calcification at 3 and 9 o'clock in the left breast.
Do I need to worry or is this normal?
Thankyou so much for your time
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:07 pm

User avatar Hi,

Intramammary lymph nodes are commonly encountered and are usually normal and not a cause for concern. They tend to be located at the upper outer quadrant and tend to have a distinct appearance on a mammogram when they are benign.

Is there anything said to describe the calcifications that are present?

Please note this is an educational service and there is no way I can give you an assessment without first hand evaluation of your scans.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us