Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: breast lump with intramammary node

spunky80 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi!

I am 28 year old and have been noticing changes in my left breast for 2 years. 2 years ago i wok up one morning and my breast had doubed in seize, so I saw a doc and had it scanned which showed nothing. Then a year ago I noticed a lump in the same breast and again had it scanned, this time it showed a fibroid which the doc said was normal and told me not to worry , but get it scanned every year. This year I have noticed another lump in my opposite armpit and still have the first lump. I have also lost 25 kilograms in 8 weeks (unintentionally), I have had an ultrasound and I am alittle worried as I carn't make sense of the results, can you help me??? I do have a doc's appointment but cannot get in to see him for three weeks. ( he must be good then right?? ha ha)

Here are the results:-there are small lymph nodes with normal morphology in the axillae bilaterally. Between 9 and 10 o'clock in the right breast laterally, there is a 10 x 7 x 3mm well-defined hypoechoic lesion with a fatty hilum in keeping with a small intramammary node. There are small foci of calcification at 3 and 9 o'clock in the left breast.
Do I need to worry or is this normal?
Thankyou so much for your time
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Intramammary lymph nodes are commonly encountered and are usually normal and not a cause for concern. They tend to be located at the upper outer quadrant and tend to have a distinct appearance on a mammogram when they are benign.

Is there anything said to describe the calcifications that are present?

Please note this is an educational service and there is no way I can give you an assessment without first hand evaluation of your scans.