Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Pituitary Tumor the cause of Lipomas?

 raillery - Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor last year - the doctor is taking a 'wait and see' approach to treatment. Currently, I do have some hormonal disturbances, like premature menopause, but the doctor thinks that it is not worth removing at this point. Since I was diagnosed, I have developed lumps all over my body. When they first appear, they are very painful - like a deep bruise but then gradually become less sore as time goes by although, they are still painful to the touch. The lumps are everywhere - in my breasts, neck, chest, ribs, abdomen, arms, armpits, back of thighs and vary in size from 5mm-2cm. It seems as though new ones are appearing every week and I could not possiby count the number i have at the moment. I am wondering if they could be caused by the tumor or if I should have them checked out by another doctor. My current physician is not concerned about them and has not suggested any further investigation but I am troubled by the breast lumps. There are so many that i would have no way of knowing which ones are okay and which ones could be something to worry about. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello Raillery,

The lumps and tumors that you describe are not usually associated with pituitary conditions and can indicate serious disease. I do not understand why your doctor is unconcerned. I believe you should be very concerned, and get a second opinion as soon as possible. Seeing an Endocrinologist would be ideal. Whatever you decide, your situation is urgent and needs evaluation by a physician who is more interested in resolving your condition. I wish you good luck and good health.

Faye, RN, MSW

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us