Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Pituitary Tumor the cause of Lipomas?

raillery - Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor last year - the doctor is taking a 'wait and see' approach to treatment. Currently, I do have some hormonal disturbances, like premature menopause, but the doctor thinks that it is not worth removing at this point. Since I was diagnosed, I have developed lumps all over my body. When they first appear, they are very painful - like a deep bruise but then gradually become less sore as time goes by although, they are still painful to the touch. The lumps are everywhere - in my breasts, neck, chest, ribs, abdomen, arms, armpits, back of thighs and vary in size from 5mm-2cm. It seems as though new ones are appearing every week and I could not possiby count the number i have at the moment. I am wondering if they could be caused by the tumor or if I should have them checked out by another doctor. My current physician is not concerned about them and has not suggested any further investigation but I am troubled by the breast lumps. There are so many that i would have no way of knowing which ones are okay and which ones could be something to worry about. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello Raillery,

The lumps and tumors that you describe are not usually associated with pituitary conditions and can indicate serious disease. I do not understand why your doctor is unconcerned. I believe you should be very concerned, and get a second opinion as soon as possible. Seeing an Endocrinologist would be ideal. Whatever you decide, your situation is urgent and needs evaluation by a physician who is more interested in resolving your condition. I wish you good luck and good health.

Faye, RN, MSW

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us