Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Mole located directly over my spine

firemom31 - Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:33 pm

I have a mole located directly over my spine, between my shoulder blades. In the past 6 mos or so it has become itchy and I have burning pain in it at night (feels like a lit cigarette on my back). I have recently started have back pain in the same area that feels like it is in my spine. I asked my husband to take a digital pic of it since I can't see it, and I was a bit concerned since it looks like a med school example of a cancerous lesion. I have no medical insurance and do not want to pay for an expensive dermatologist if this is likely to be something benign, but I don't want to put it off if it could be something more sinister. Anyone care to hazard a guess at what the odds are that it is a malignancy?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:22 am

User avatar Dear firemom31,
You understand that no one could possibly reach a diagnosis without a direct examination with any degree of certainty. Having said that there are certain criteria in a mole that signal a red alert. Itching in a mole is one of these warning signs. Please have a look at our melanoma page. for more information on warning signs of malignancy. I think you should have it checked out and you may even need a biopsy taken.
 firemom31 - Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:38 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I guess I was looking for affirmation of what I already suspect. I have no medical insurance, but I will contact the health department asap. Thanks again.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us