Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Mole located directly over my spine

firemom31 - Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:33 pm

I have a mole located directly over my spine, between my shoulder blades. In the past 6 mos or so it has become itchy and I have burning pain in it at night (feels like a lit cigarette on my back). I have recently started have back pain in the same area that feels like it is in my spine. I asked my husband to take a digital pic of it since I can't see it, and I was a bit concerned since it looks like a med school example of a cancerous lesion. I have no medical insurance and do not want to pay for an expensive dermatologist if this is likely to be something benign, but I don't want to put it off if it could be something more sinister. Anyone care to hazard a guess at what the odds are that it is a malignancy?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:22 am

User avatar Dear firemom31,
You understand that no one could possibly reach a diagnosis without a direct examination with any degree of certainty. Having said that there are certain criteria in a mole that signal a red alert. Itching in a mole is one of these warning signs. Please have a look at our melanoma page. for more information on warning signs of malignancy. I think you should have it checked out and you may even need a biopsy taken.
 firemom31 - Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:38 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I guess I was looking for affirmation of what I already suspect. I have no medical insurance, but I will contact the health department asap. Thanks again.