Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Thyroid Nodule

 imreneelaura - Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:15 pm

For the past 4 years, I have been getting ultrasounds and fine needle aspirations in a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid. I recently switched doctors, and when I received my results, the nodule changed to something more solid with cysts inside and is hypervascular. My new doctor didnt give me my results - I obtained them myself and when I confronted her about the changes in the nodule, she didnt recommend anything - although the dictation states "malignancy is not excluded" "Close follow-up is recommended". Should I ask her to refer me to an endocrynologist for needle aspiration? Should I file a complaint about her sitting on this too long? What are the odds of this being cancerous?
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:27 pm

My apologies for the delay in your getting a response to your question. There has been a backlog of questions here at The lounge. We are endeavoring to respond to all questions, including old ones. As more of us are responding to questions, we hope to be able to respond to new questions in a timely manner. I hope that you will visit The Lounge again and that you next experience here will be better than your last.

It is not uncommon that needle aspirations of thyroid findings return back "non-diagnostic" or "insufficient". In such cases, it would be reasonable to see an Endocrinologist whom could evaluate the thyroid further. I don't tend to just monitor the situation in such a case. I get an Endocrinologist's opinion and expertise to help me. Sometimes a formal biopsy is needed to get enough tissue material to run the required tests to see if there is a cancer present.

Jeffrey A. Gordon, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us