Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Choosing a skin cancer specialist

 floruit - Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm


I am trying to determine which dermatologist would be the most qualified to handle skin cancer. I want to get it right the first time around to prevent further headache. There has to be dermatologists with varying degrees of expertise with regards to skin cancer. What should I look for? What is a adequate number for the number of skin cancer patients they have seen or see each year? I noticed there are dermatologist that are fellowship trained either in american college of mohs surgery or american society of mohs surgery--which is better in regards to skin cancer? Is there any other training which might make them a better pick?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are doing well now. I am sure there are many well qualified dermatologists that can handle skin cancer. It really depends on the type of skin cancer, but an oncologist (especially surgical oncologist for early disease) that specializes in skin cancer would be a good bet.

Good luck to you!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us