Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Choosing a skin cancer specialist

floruit - Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I am trying to determine which dermatologist would be the most qualified to handle skin cancer. I want to get it right the first time around to prevent further headache. There has to be dermatologists with varying degrees of expertise with regards to skin cancer. What should I look for? What is a adequate number for the number of skin cancer patients they have seen or see each year? I noticed there are dermatologist that are fellowship trained either in american college of mohs surgery or american society of mohs surgery--which is better in regards to skin cancer? Is there any other training which might make them a better pick?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 pm

I hope you are doing well now. I am sure there are many well qualified dermatologists that can handle skin cancer. It really depends on the type of skin cancer, but an oncologist (especially surgical oncologist for early disease) that specializes in skin cancer would be a good bet.

Good luck to you!