Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Lump on left side of neck, Headaches

DeViouS - Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi, I have this lump on the left side of my neck below my hairline, I had a cortisone shot about a week ago, so far the pain has not declined, now the pain is going from my neck across my left shoulder, It really hurts. the lump has gotten a bit harder and more painful, I have had this lump for quite some time and have complained about it in the past and the shot he gave me was the first thing he has done to even help me with it. I'm sick and tired of the pain, being tired i feel dranined most of the time. What can I do? Please help. thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:49 am

User avatar Hi DeViouS ,
From your description, i am led to believe that the the 'lump' may be a posterior triangle lymph node.The causes of lymph node enlargement are manyfold-ranging from inflammations to malignancies.
My advise to you would be
a) to consult a surgical specialist
b) never to agree for a shot of cortisone again (for this problem).
Corticosteroids are 'magical' drugs (can make anything/anyone feel better!) - albeit temporarily..Beware!!!