Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: melanoma of the big toenail

fursale - Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:40 pm

I had a biopsy of my left toe on 3-25-09 after showing it to my doctor and telling him it started as a small black speck at the base of the toenail.
It is now 6mm X 4mm.
What are the chances that is is malignant.
If so at what stage would the cancer be at relative to it's size.
If confirmed what is the most likely prognosis.
I would really like to know something while waiting for the results.
Thank you.
Jim
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:18 am

Any pigmented lesion under the nail or proximal nail fold must be viewed with suspicion.
The chances of it being a subungual melanoma (a type of Acral lentiginous melanoma) is higher if...
- one is one belongs to certain ethnic groups(asian or black),
- over 60 years of age.or
- if the lesion is under the big toe nail or the thumb nail.
(Majority of subungual melanomas (90%) occur on the thumb or the great toe).
Good luck!