Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Non Healing Breast Wound

happygrump - Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:11 am

Age 37
Female
Fibrous breasts

I had a dry patch of skin the size of a nickle on the side of my left breast. Soon after noticing the dry scaly skin area, a sore quickly developed. It turned dark red, has a center, and does not heal. It has been a three weeks now. It seems to start to heal and even sheds a scab, but instead goes through a cycle of open wound/scab over and over. It does not hurt.

It's appearance: Dark red circular wound with a center that is sometimes an open hole. Sometimes in the open hole it has white "goey" skin that I try to take out, but it is firmly attached. Dry scaling skin around the "wound". No obvious lump under it.

What could it be? What should I do?
 Jan PA-C MPH - Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Dear happygrump;

Sorry for the marked delay in this response, given the amount of time that has elapsed, is there anything further that we can help you with understanding? I hope all has gone well with your treatment.
Kind regards,
Jan
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:56 am

User avatar Hi happygrump,
It would be diffcult to hazard a guess as what it could be without examining you clinically.I would suggest that you should consult a surgeon or a dermatologist first. In all likelyhood,it will need to be biopsied.How is it now by the way? I hope you are fine by now.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us