Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Lung Health After Quitting Smoking

Nicole Chenxi - Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 am

I was a light smoker for most of college, around 3 cigarettes a day to a pack a week at my worst, with multiple gaps of a few months when I wouldn't smoke at all. For the last year I've been smoking very little, maybe three packs the whole year. What are the long-term effects of such smoking? If I quit now, when would my lungs likely return to normal? How much worse is my risk of lung cancer compared to someone who never smoked? Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 26, 2009 6:35 am

User avatar Hello,

A meaningful risk assessment is impossible without an extensive medical examination and 'exposure' history.

Smoking is the single most important risk factor in lung cancer accounting for 80-90% of all cases of lung cancer.

Chronic heavy smokers have a 30 fold increase in relative risk compared to never smokers. Heavy smoking is usually defined as more than 10-15 cigarettes a day.

This risk varies according to the age at onset of smoking, degree of inhalation, life time duration of smoking, use of filter and the tar/nicotine content of cigarettes.

Other factors such as occupational asbestos exposure also affect risk. I say this only to stress that there may be many other risks that we still don't know about.

The good news is that abstinence, even smoking reduction results in a decreasing risk. Abstainers had an 80 to 90 % reduction in risk of lung cancer compared to current smokers. However, lung cancer risk remains higher than in the never smoker (twice).

I hope this helps answer your question.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us