Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Hypertrichosis

 berry_blue - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I am a 29 year old female who developed Generalized Acquired Hypertrichosis several months ago. The problem is all over my body and getting worse by the week.
Two different endocrinologists tested me for hormonal imbalances, malabsorption, porphyrias, ovarian cysts, celiac disease...all tests came back normal, although I was also diagnosed with Amenorrhea. I have also been losing weight despite eating more than enough and been having IBS symptoms.

I have read that Generalized Acquired Hypertrichosis (if no other cause is found) is an indication of internal malignancy, and can precede the tumor by years. Do you suggest aggressive cancer screenings at this point? None of my bloodwork so far indicated presence of cancer.

I am becoming depressed due to the physical manifestations of this problem and just want to get rid of this.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 am

User avatar Hello,Eating disorders like anorexia nervosa,and bulumina nervosa have been associated with acquired hypertrichosis too.Since all your investigations for malignancy are negative the above conditions become relevant due to your not gaining weight. Association of anorexia nervosa and amenorrhea which is well known makes me think you may have a problem related to this rather than a malignancy.Do keep in touch with your doctor and stop worrying.Hair removal methods commonly advocated apply here too.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us