Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Submental lymph node just painful? or cause of worry?

smile2me - Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi,
Im a 24yo female that is primarily healthy. when i was about 14 i noticed that i would break out ith terible facial acne at the same time that i would feel large tender, painful, movable 'balls' located under my chin, my doctor at that time said it was cartilege becoming inflamed- then ruptureing.
this would occur about twice a year and became less painful. however in the past year it began to occur about three times a month and is very painful- barely allowing me to to move my jaws- this is sometimes preceded by severe acne.
a sonogram showed submental lymph nodes about 1cm.
this occured yesterday but this time i also noticed a similar bump at the base of my head/neck.
what can this be? should i be concerned? and what doctor do i use to investigate this further?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm

User avatar Hi,
What you have described appears to be submental lymph node enlargement as a sequel to facial acne.The newer lump at the base of your neck could be a suboccipital lymph node.Please consult your GP or a surgeon to sort it out.good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us