Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Submental lymph node just painful? or cause of worry?

smile2me - Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Im a 24yo female that is primarily healthy. when i was about 14 i noticed that i would break out ith terible facial acne at the same time that i would feel large tender, painful, movable 'balls' located under my chin, my doctor at that time said it was cartilege becoming inflamed- then ruptureing.
this would occur about twice a year and became less painful. however in the past year it began to occur about three times a month and is very painful- barely allowing me to to move my jaws- this is sometimes preceded by severe acne.
a sonogram showed submental lymph nodes about 1cm.
this occured yesterday but this time i also noticed a similar bump at the base of my head/neck.
what can this be? should i be concerned? and what doctor do i use to investigate this further?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm

What you have described appears to be submental lymph node enlargement as a sequel to facial acne.The newer lump at the base of your neck could be a suboccipital lymph node.Please consult your GP or a surgeon to sort it out.good luck!