Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Swelling in the Scrotum

Mike7 - Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:54 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I noticed a growth I guess you could call it on my right testicle when I was 15. It was during baseball season and I'm a catcher so I figured maybe it was from one of times the ball took a unlucky bounce and hit me. Well It has been half a year now and the swellings size has changed almost daily for the past half a year. Sometimes it is barely noticeable while other times it swells up to almost the size of a lemon. It also isn't solid it seems to be filled with liquid as when it isn't one of the times when it is lemon sized I can squeeze and it feels almost as if it is draining. I haven't gotten it checked out by a doctor because I'm afraid of what might be the real cause of it and when ever it seems to be serious it shrinks away and I forget about it. Why I am seeking help now is that it has been lemon sized for a week or so now and sometimes when I stretch my arms straight up I feel a pain in my lower abdomen. I would really appreciate any information that could be shared with me because I am unsure of what action I should take.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:04 am

User avatar Dear Mike7,
Cystic testicular masses can be caused by many things ranging from nothing at all to many benign causes to as you put it cancer. The long duration and the way it changes sizes certainly favour the benign causes more than the malignant. However, nothing can be ruled out for certain without an examination. You must consult your doctor, who may in turn request an ultrasonography to visualize the lesion and make sure there is nothing serious.