Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Swelling in the Scrotum

 Mike7 - Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:54 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I noticed a growth I guess you could call it on my right testicle when I was 15. It was during baseball season and I'm a catcher so I figured maybe it was from one of times the ball took a unlucky bounce and hit me. Well It has been half a year now and the swellings size has changed almost daily for the past half a year. Sometimes it is barely noticeable while other times it swells up to almost the size of a lemon. It also isn't solid it seems to be filled with liquid as when it isn't one of the times when it is lemon sized I can squeeze and it feels almost as if it is draining. I haven't gotten it checked out by a doctor because I'm afraid of what might be the real cause of it and when ever it seems to be serious it shrinks away and I forget about it. Why I am seeking help now is that it has been lemon sized for a week or so now and sometimes when I stretch my arms straight up I feel a pain in my lower abdomen. I would really appreciate any information that could be shared with me because I am unsure of what action I should take.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:04 am

User avatar Dear Mike7,
Cystic testicular masses can be caused by many things ranging from nothing at all to many benign causes to as you put it cancer. The long duration and the way it changes sizes certainly favour the benign causes more than the malignant. However, nothing can be ruled out for certain without an examination. You must consult your doctor, who may in turn request an ultrasonography to visualize the lesion and make sure there is nothing serious.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us