Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: 4 swollen lymph nodes under left arm

DSAB - Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 am

I have had a lump under my left arm for about 2.5 months. I have been to the doctor, and went for ultrasound and chest x-ray. The doc says I have 4 swollen nodes under my left arm. I have just completed blood tests, and am waiting on results, after which the doc plans a CT scan.

I am mostly curious what the most common causes for this might be, given my specific symptoms (swollen group of nodes in 1 spot underarm, firm and quite large, mildly painful, and persisting for >2 months now) . I live in Canada and use a clinic doc, which is fine, however they are always rushed and while I feel that he is taking all the appropriate steps, the communication and level of interaction is very low. He has been very tight lipped about potential/likely causes etc.

The swollen nodes have not decreased in size, they are more or less constantly painful (dull, aching/itching kind of sensation), which has caused me some difficulty sleeping. I have no other swollen nodes that I can detect.

I had a really crummy winter with at least 3 colds, 1 flu type bug, and another cold this summer. I am not aware of any injury or infection that could have caused this.

Any insight in to this problem would be appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:55 am

User avatar Virus induced lymphadenopathy is common,so is tubercular.Hodgkins less likely due to localised area involvment.Do you have cats?Cat scratch disease is one to remember.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us