Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: 4 swollen lymph nodes under left arm

DSAB - Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 am

I have had a lump under my left arm for about 2.5 months. I have been to the doctor, and went for ultrasound and chest x-ray. The doc says I have 4 swollen nodes under my left arm. I have just completed blood tests, and am waiting on results, after which the doc plans a CT scan.

I am mostly curious what the most common causes for this might be, given my specific symptoms (swollen group of nodes in 1 spot underarm, firm and quite large, mildly painful, and persisting for >2 months now) . I live in Canada and use a clinic doc, which is fine, however they are always rushed and while I feel that he is taking all the appropriate steps, the communication and level of interaction is very low. He has been very tight lipped about potential/likely causes etc.

The swollen nodes have not decreased in size, they are more or less constantly painful (dull, aching/itching kind of sensation), which has caused me some difficulty sleeping. I have no other swollen nodes that I can detect.

I had a really crummy winter with at least 3 colds, 1 flu type bug, and another cold this summer. I am not aware of any injury or infection that could have caused this.

Any insight in to this problem would be appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:55 am

User avatar Virus induced lymphadenopathy is common,so is tubercular.Hodgkins less likely due to localised area involvment.Do you have cats?Cat scratch disease is one to remember.