Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Familial CLL?

bhasaji - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 am

My father had CLL at 46 years age, and he passed at 57 years in 2005. Recently, I discovered that his aunt ( real sister of his mother) also has CLL and she is 72 years.

Is is a familial CLL? Could it be? Is there any way I can find if I am predisposed to developing CLL? I am 37 years male.

Sister of my father has also developed Ca Breast recently.

ANy response is highly appreciated
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 am

User avatar Hello,
First degree relatives of CLL patients have been found in some studies to have a higher risk of CLL as well as other tumors a phenomenon referred to as familial aggregation. Although this disease is not hereditary and there is no evidence of genetic transmission. It may be that certain genes that run in a family make it more likely for family members to develop these tumors.

Although, there aren't any formal guidelines for special screening of family members of CLL patients, it would be a good idea to let your family doctor / Aunt's doctor know of your concern.

I am throwing in a few references for convenience.

REFERENCES:
===========
1. Cuttner, J. Increased incidence of hematologic malignancies in first-degree relatives of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Invest 1992;10(2):103-9.
2. Yuille MR; Matutes E; Marossy A; Hilditch B; Catovsky D; Houlston RS. Familial chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a survey and review of published studies. Br J Haematol 2000 Jun;109(4):794-9.
3. Brown JR; Neuberg D; Phillips K; Reynolds H et al. Prevalence of familial malignancy in a prospectively screened cohort of patients with lymphoproliferative disorders. Br J Haematol. 2008 Nov;143(3):361-8. Epub 2008 Aug 20.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us