Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: moles turning black and bleeding

 dedleemiho - Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Over the past 7 months I've had 6 different moles suddenly turn from their normal brown color to black. Each one would go through a stage of turning black and crusty, then beginning to hurt and bleed. Their usually rounded edges would start to become jagged and seem to lose color into my surrounding skin. Eventually the black would scale off and some of them look normal again but some look multi color brown now. The mole locations vary from one on my face, one on my upper back one on my upper arm, one on my lower arm, and 2 on my hip. Each one going all weird on me at a different times except the 2 on my hip that started changing together most recently. I've had these mole forever and some are tiny and some are pencil eraser size. Up until now they've always been perfectly round and one solid color brown. I don't know what to think and I don't have health insurance so I'm weary of going to the doctor if I'm worrying for nothing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:55 am

User avatar Hello,There is a method known as ABCD for moles to be identified to rule out serious problems like melanomas,A-Assymetry ie a rounded mole changing shape.B-Border irregularity.C-Color variation.D-Diameter over 6mm or more.In your case I do not know whether they are moles or other pigmented areas like lentigenes or seborrheic keratoses.The best option would be to get a dermoscopy done by a dermatologist,a very simple procedure.You must go to a physician,ideally a dermatologist who can help you to reassure you that there is no problem.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us