Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph nodes above collar bone

Bouncer - Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 am

Hi
I am a 42year old female, about 3 weeks ago i noticed a soft swelling on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone, it didn't hurt so i left it until last week when i went to see my doctor. When i mentioned it to him he examined me and said that he could also feel that the left side had a small harder swelling as well. He told me that it was my lymph nodes and could mean a number of things, apart from this i am otherwise fit & healthy. He sent to me get a chest xray and has also booked me in for an ultrsound scan of my neck this week. He didn't really tell me alot but on surfing the internet i have convinced myself that i may have cancer. Could you please advise me on what this could possibly mean, as i just about at my wits end with worry. I have got to leave it for a week to 10days before i see my doctor again for the results of the xray & scan. Please help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 am

Any supra-clavicular lymph node enlargement should be viewed with concern.
But, clinically,one has to be certain that it is indeed a lymph node - because at times, the inferior belly of omohyoid muscle is mistaken for a lymph node.If in doubt, an ultrasonogram would be able to sort that out.

If it is indeed a left supra-clavicular lymph node,and if it happens to be hard, then tests will be needed to exclude a variety of malignancies.

It is better to wait for the results of the tests before arriving at conclusions.