Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph nodes above collar bone

Bouncer - Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 am

Hi
I am a 42year old female, about 3 weeks ago i noticed a soft swelling on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone, it didn't hurt so i left it until last week when i went to see my doctor. When i mentioned it to him he examined me and said that he could also feel that the left side had a small harder swelling as well. He told me that it was my lymph nodes and could mean a number of things, apart from this i am otherwise fit & healthy. He sent to me get a chest xray and has also booked me in for an ultrsound scan of my neck this week. He didn't really tell me alot but on surfing the internet i have convinced myself that i may have cancer. Could you please advise me on what this could possibly mean, as i just about at my wits end with worry. I have got to leave it for a week to 10days before i see my doctor again for the results of the xray & scan. Please help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 am

User avatar Hi,
Any supra-clavicular lymph node enlargement should be viewed with concern.
But, clinically,one has to be certain that it is indeed a lymph node - because at times, the inferior belly of omohyoid muscle is mistaken for a lymph node.If in doubt, an ultrasonogram would be able to sort that out.

If it is indeed a left supra-clavicular lymph node,and if it happens to be hard, then tests will be needed to exclude a variety of malignancies.

It is better to wait for the results of the tests before arriving at conclusions.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us