Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Foreign Object in Rectum - Issues

 lkny2009 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Approximately 7 years ago (or more), during sex, my girlfriend inserted a rubbery/flexible ball-type dildo into my anus. It was not protect, and slipped inside. At the time, I went to the bathroom, and passed a stool, but unwisely flushed before I realized that I should verify that it had passed. I have had no symptoms since then (though 3 years ago, I had a series of bloody stools related to acute pain on the edge of my anus - which seemed to be more closely related to an anal fissure - over time, it healed, and I have not had significant problems since). Reading a fiction book recently, it suggested that an object could go undetected and hidden, which made me think of this incident, and had me worried enough to consult here. Needless to say, I would unquestionably prefer not going to a doctor at this point, for both the embarrassment and given the time. My question then is this: is it possible for the object to still be there, and how could I tell, short of an uncomfortable visit to the doctor. I would appreciate a percentage chance of there being still an issue - rather than the blanket statement of "seek help", if possible. Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:19 am

User avatar Hi,
As for your question "how could I tell, short of an uncomfortable visit to the doctor", the only unpalatable answer perhaps, is that there seems to be no way except to make the "uncomfortable visit to the doctor".

Foreign bodies have been known to remain in the rectum or remain higher up in the colon for variable lengths of time.Some may remain without producing untoward effects but quite a few are known to cause problems- at times serious(perforation,peritonitis, fistulation, obstruction etc).

First thing your doctor would do perhaps, is to perform a DRE(digital rectal examination). If it is within reach,it may be diagnosed as such. If not, then some other tests would be necessary.

Not all foreign bodies are radio-opaque.Therefore, some may show up on bi-planar plain X-ray films. Non radio-opaque foreign bodies may be imaged by a CT or other imaging modalities.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us