Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: two small hard little bumps right in anus

deb_42 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello- I have two small (like the size of a bigger grain of sand) little very hard and quite round and smooth bumps right inside my anus. One is pretty much on the surface, but just inside and one is a bit further in, (maybe a cm.) and a bit deeper. Both will move around a bit and aren't really painful, but I got a little twinge of discomfort that alerted me something might be wrong. I don't think these are hemorhoids (sp?) and I am so afraid of cancer, I had HPV warts on my vagina and cervix when I was younger once- had not idea they could cause cancer of the anus. I can't see either of them because they are a little inside and so small- a mirror will not do. I do not have health insurance and this really scares me. Please help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 am

User avatar Hi deb_42,

Going by your description, i would tend to think of two possibilities...

- a chronic fissure (mostly posterior midline, but pregnancy-associated fissures in women could be in anterior midline position).Fissures usually have two associated swellings - one at the top(hypertrophied anal valves) and one at the anal opening (what is known as the sentinal pile).

- a perianal hematoma(at the anal opening) - which may or may not be painful or tender(depending on whether it is tense or lax).The swelling inside could be either a hypertrophied anal valve or a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Considering your age, i would advise you to consult a surgeon as there is a remote chance that some of these anal lumps could be malignant.It is always better to be cautious.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us