Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: two small hard little bumps right in anus

deb_42 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello- I have two small (like the size of a bigger grain of sand) little very hard and quite round and smooth bumps right inside my anus. One is pretty much on the surface, but just inside and one is a bit further in, (maybe a cm.) and a bit deeper. Both will move around a bit and aren't really painful, but I got a little twinge of discomfort that alerted me something might be wrong. I don't think these are hemorhoids (sp?) and I am so afraid of cancer, I had HPV warts on my vagina and cervix when I was younger once- had not idea they could cause cancer of the anus. I can't see either of them because they are a little inside and so small- a mirror will not do. I do not have health insurance and this really scares me. Please help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 am

User avatar Hi deb_42,

Going by your description, i would tend to think of two possibilities...

- a chronic fissure (mostly posterior midline, but pregnancy-associated fissures in women could be in anterior midline position).Fissures usually have two associated swellings - one at the top(hypertrophied anal valves) and one at the anal opening (what is known as the sentinal pile).

- a perianal hematoma(at the anal opening) - which may or may not be painful or tender(depending on whether it is tense or lax).The swelling inside could be either a hypertrophied anal valve or a thrombosed hemorrhoid.

Considering your age, i would advise you to consult a surgeon as there is a remote chance that some of these anal lumps could be malignant.It is always better to be cautious.
Good luck!