Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: right testicle small..no pain but the left one is normal.

problemguy - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 pm

My right testicle is small and the left one seems to be normal.I don't know the reason why it got smaller,but i feel its due to excess of msturbaton.it was normal wen i was young n started wen i was 12-13.I want to know how this happened and is it harmful.Also,is masturbation the cause and can it be treated naturally or surgically.I hope i get a reply soon.Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:19 am

User avatar Hi,
When a doctor examines the scrotum, he/she tries to assess (among other things) the following...
- size(volume) of the testicle
- consistency of the testicle
- 'Lie' of the testicle
- status of the spermatic cord
- associated hydroceles
- varicoceles.

Generally size is less important than consistency. A normal testis feels firm. A testis which is relatively small in size will be considered normal if the consistency is firm.

A small, soft, testis indicates testicular atrophy.
A horizontal 'lie' (normal testicular 'lie' is vertical), may suggest an increased risk for testicular torsion - which can lead to a small, atrophic testis.

Mastubation(to the best of my knowledge) does not make the testis smaller. Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us