Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: esophageal candida weight loss etc, HIV neg, is it lymphoma?

RachelS - Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:48 pm

I am a 21 year old female who has seen every doctor in my area. I am HIV negative (I had 6 tests this year alone) but have been suffering from signs of immune suppression and no one can tell me why. I have had, and still do have, other chronic health problems. All of my labs are normal besides my RDW. (I was anemic for 8 or more years, when it spontaneously cleared up last month, despite bruising MUCH more than I did. My RDW is still high at 16.7 and is the lowest it has been ever.) I have had abdominal pain for 2 years (upper right and epigastric) and have had 2 negative endoscopies, 1 negative colonoscopy, negative Hep ABC screen (was tested because I had jaundice and brown urine). Liver and pancreatic function panels are normal, and I was negative for porphyria. For a year and a half I have been suffering from general malabsorption (passing sometimes completely undigested food of all kinds) and was put on Creon for it, but it did not help, and about a year ago I started getting diarrhea almost always, sometimes bloody (like I said, no signs of inflammation on biopsy). I experience night sweats on and off, I had them every night for 6 months straight, just drenching, and every few weeks run a low grade fever (between 99.1 and 100.5, I am normally around 97.8). I occasionally get swollen glands in my groin area, and those hurt. I also have 2 glands that the doctors always miss, they're right behind my jaw, under my ear. One of them swelled to over and inch about a year and a half ago, and I never saw anyone about it. Since then, it swells daily, is hard, doesn't hurt (although its under a tendon in my neck, and when it swells, then tendon gets hard and THAT hurts), and now it feels like a there's a smaller one stuck to it. I also developed unstable blood pressure, both too high at times, and too low. It may be irrelevant, but I don't know what is anymore. I have arthritis, but I have had that since I was 14 or 15, but I also get pain in my right leg, my thigh bone. It usually aches, but sometimes is excruciating to the point of collapsing my leg from under me. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but could it be lymphoma? I've spent the past 2 and a half years sick and last year researching, and I need to know if this could be a strange presentation of lymphoma or if it is something else.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:35 am

User avatar Hi,

Chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis (CMC) refers to a group of disorders which are charecterized by persistent and recurrent infections of nails, skin, and mucous membranes by Candida albicans and occasionally other candida species.CMC are a group of heterogenous disorders where there seems to be a 'selective' inability to clear infection with the yeast Candida, resulting in persistent debilitating symptoms.

CMC could be
- familial (inherited)or
- non-familial (non-inherited).

The familial form could be
- autosomal dominant or
- autosomal recessive.

CMC can be
- associated with endocrinopathies/inflammatory disorders or
- not associated with endocrinopathies/inflammatory disorders.

CMC can be
- early onset (usual) or
- late onset.

The association of CMC with squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity or oesophagus has been reported in patients with 'autoimmune polyendocrinopathy-candidiasis-ectodermal dystrophy' (APECED) syndrome.

There are reports of patients with late onset chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis who developed lymphocytic lymphoma.

I am in no way implying that you have CMC. As you are immunocompetent & your symptomatology is very complex & several aspects need to be connected up, it may be worth starting the process by first excluding late-onset CMC.You may need (among other things) a fine needle aspiration cytology from the cervical lymph node.

Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us