Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Sarcoma

Question: estrogens usage after radiotherapy

fwusenw - Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Doctor,

My mother(75) just finished radiotherapy for 200 cGy x28 for her pelvic tumor(squamous cell carcinoma was diagnosed)--two weeks ago.(10/23/2009),and her GYN DR. prescribed estradiol valerate for a months for her to take, we thought hormone is the fuel for tumor ? Could you help us to know more about the possible benefit for this hormone in take ?

Jim
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 22, 2010 11:45 am

I apologize for the delayed response but I thought I would answer all the same. I hope your mother is doing well. What kind of pelvic tumor are we talking about - was it an endomtrial (uterine) carcinoma? a squamous cell cancer of the cervix? Please elaborate.

I believe, the estradiol she was prescribed would not be related to her diagnosis of cancer? You are right that there are convincing reports about the increased risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer with the use of estradiol. In the case of endometrial (uterine) cancer this risk refers to patients with an intact uterus not those who have had it removed.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes,