Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Armpit lump, painful

smilie430 - Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:34 pm

I woke up this morning with a very painful lump in my armpit. I feel fine, besides having headaches once in a while. I had a similar lump a few weeks ago, but it went away on it's own. This one is in the same area, and both were/are painful. Any ideas??

Thank you!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 pm

User avatar Hello,
It looks like it could be an enlarged lymph node. Pain is usually a sign of inflammation especially if you remember any trauma or infection occuring the same arm. They usually go away on their own or after a 2 week course of the appropriate antibiotics. That said however, a lymph gland enlargement should always be examined to exclude more serious causes such as breast cancer.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us