Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: chest pain and blood in spit

tc187 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:41 pm

hi i am a 22 yrs old male and the past few months a have just felt off. i went to the doctor about chest pain and he sumed it up to be anxiety. well recently i have had a sharp pain in my chest when i take a deep breath but it has went away for about 2 weeks now. then i woke up this morning and when i clear my throat there was bright red blood in the spit ( i spit about 6 times). there is also blood in my nose when i blow it. went to the hospital about a month ago because i thought i was having a heart attack and they took a chest x-ray and ekg ( everything came back fine). went to a cardologist and had a echo test and another ekg (everything seemed fine).sometimes i feel like i cant get a full breath of air but i don't know if this is just because i am worried about something being wrong with me or if their is something wrong. i have not worried so much until i saw the blood in my spit. so do you think i might just have a sinus problem ( i work outside cutting grass) and the chest might just be from the anxiety or do you think i might have a blood clot or something. i also lost about 40 pounds in 6 to 8 weeks for no reason and have elevatued blood pressure ( 140/89)
thank you for your time
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:29 am

Whenever there is blood in the sputum, the source of the blood has to be investigated.Basically, blood in the sputum can originate in
- the respiratory passages or the lungs,
- the pharyngeal region (oro, naso or the laryngopharynx) or
- the nasal cavity/paranasal sinuses.

In your case, you had definitely noted blood while blowing your nose.This very much lends support to a diagnosis of epistaxis as the underlying cause of the blood noted in your sputum.This may happen even with trivial trauma such as caused during nose-picking.Although sinusitis is one other possibility, in your case it seems less likely.

For a start, you should be examined by an ENT specialist. If nothing turns up, then, based on the clinical findings, further investigations such as a a sputum smear, sputum culture,coagulation profile,chest X-ray and CT chest scan may be needed.
Good day!