Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Posterior Cervical and Supraclavicular nodes enlarged

Peter01 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Dear Doctor,

Since October 2009, my GP has felt a Left Posterior Cervical enlarged and today it is still palpable.
Three weeks ago, he told me that i shouldn't concern because despite of its size, there are no more symptoms associated.The point is: last week I've noticed that my right supraclavicular node was palpable too.
Blood tests taken last week are normal.Should I visit the doctor again because of the new palpable node or should I relax and start beeing a less worried? Should I suggest a biopsy?

Thank you,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:26 am

Obviously you have enlargement of the level 5 cervical lymph nodes(posterior triangle lymph nodes).

Within the posterior triangle,
Spinal accessory nodes are situated along the spinal accessory nerve and receive drainage from the occipital nodes (which drain the skin of the posterior scalp and neck) and the nasopharyngeal nodes and retropharyngeal / parapharyngeal nodes(which drain the nasopharynx & oropharynx).
Supraclavicular nodes drain into the thoracic duct on the left and the right lymphatic duct on the right. Nodal disease presenting in these areas is more often associated with an infra-clavicular and, sometimes, sub-diaphragmatic primary tumors.

The cervical nodes in your case have persisted since 2009. This certainly needs to be investigated fully (including FNA or an open lymph node biopsy) and expeditiously.