Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: large lump near anus

BERRYPIE - Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello, i am 19 years old and i have had a lump on my anus passage for over 7 months (maybe even longer).

i am getting really worried about it now but am embarresed to go to my doctor as they are all males and i don't feel comfortable.

the lump is big but it dosnt hurt. its my normal skin colour but it has got bigger over the past few months. i have never seemed to have trouble passing stools, and ive not noticed no blood but it sometimes feels like i am straining even though i'm not. i also suffer from nausea alot but i don't know if thats related.

could this be serious as iit seems to be growing and i am getting a little worried.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 pm

User avatar Hi,
From your description, it is difficult to arrive at a definitive conclusion. However, i will try to list some of the possibilities.

- Peri-anal hematoma: occurs at the anal verge due to bleeding from one of the tiny veins. Initially painful (if tense) & later pain passes off.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoid: grade 2- if it comes out during straining and reduces sponteneously; grade 3 - if it can only be digitally reduced & grade 4 - if it can't be reduced at all (remains outside).
- prolapsed rectal polyp: may or may not be associated with bleeding.
- a peri-anal skin tag: usually associated with chronic anal fissures.

Apart from these more common conditions, other lesions (benign & malignant) may also occur in this region.Without a detailed clinical examination, it may be hazardous to afford a guess.You must consult a surgeon & sort this out.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us