Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: large lump near anus

 BERRYPIE - Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello, i am 19 years old and i have had a lump on my anus passage for over 7 months (maybe even longer).

i am getting really worried about it now but am embarresed to go to my doctor as they are all males and i don't feel comfortable.

the lump is big but it dosnt hurt. its my normal skin colour but it has got bigger over the past few months. i have never seemed to have trouble passing stools, and ive not noticed no blood but it sometimes feels like i am straining even though i'm not. i also suffer from nausea alot but i don't know if thats related.

could this be serious as iit seems to be growing and i am getting a little worried.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 pm

User avatar Hi,
From your description, it is difficult to arrive at a definitive conclusion. However, i will try to list some of the possibilities.

- Peri-anal hematoma: occurs at the anal verge due to bleeding from one of the tiny veins. Initially painful (if tense) & later pain passes off.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoid: grade 2- if it comes out during straining and reduces sponteneously; grade 3 - if it can only be digitally reduced & grade 4 - if it can't be reduced at all (remains outside).
- prolapsed rectal polyp: may or may not be associated with bleeding.
- a peri-anal skin tag: usually associated with chronic anal fissures.

Apart from these more common conditions, other lesions (benign & malignant) may also occur in this region.Without a detailed clinical examination, it may be hazardous to afford a guess.You must consult a surgeon & sort this out.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us