Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Right side of breast is Tender and swollen

 Cielopalo - Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 pm

My right breast has been tender for the past two days. It is not the whole breast. JUST the right side of the right breast. When I touch the left side it is totally fine. My left breast is not swollen or tender at all. I breast feed my 1 year old and this has never happened to me before. Even when I have been on my period this has never happened to me. I have touched my breast and I don't think I feel anything only tenderness. Also when I breastfeed on my left breast I feel pain on my right. What can this be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 am

User avatar Hi,
Your description suggests that you could have early lactational mastitis.Mastitis is usually classified as
- lactational or
- non-lactational.
Generally, one considers mastitis as a possibility if atleast two of the following are present...
- the lactating mother has fever,
- lumpiness in the breast associated with pain & tenderness,
- erythema of the overlying skin, or
- a tense breast which continues to remain tense following breast feeding.

It may be a good idea to consult your GP for an initial assessment(examination of the breasts, body temperature etc). A total WBC count may show polymorphonuclear leucocytosis in cases of mastitis.

As you don't seem to have the other features of mastitis, antibiotic therapy may be withheld presently and you need to be observed to see how it evolves.Imaging studies may not be needed at this stage(i am aware of your family history). Your doctor will be able to guide you in this.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us