Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: left testicle much bigger than right..is it normal.

jack00 - Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:32 am

Hello
ive had a tough few days and im really worried..last week i found a little soft lump on my left testicle..i went to the doctor he checked it and said it should be ok but he would make an appointment for an ultra sound..i went up today and they checked it but they said they were worried that my left testicle was much bigger and maybe a little harder than the right but i think its been like hat a long time probably as long as i can remember..and they couldnt do an ultra sound till next week..im really worried now i don't know how to cope with the next few days i cant tell my family because there is problems there aswell and they don't need to be worried about this...please tell me is this normal in any way or should i be so worried...
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:31 pm

A hard lump in the scrotum can be due to a variety of conditions ranging from completely benign causes to malignant tumors of the testes. As a malignant testicular lump is usually hard (and charecteristically "heavy", with an associated loss of normal testicular sensation), excluding this possibility is the overriding concern.

I will to provide you with some basic information about some of the causes of a hard lump in the scrotum.

Syphilic gumma of the testis: rare these days. it is a characteristic lesion of tertiary syphilis.It presents as a hard, smooth and painless lump.Histopthology: Although infrequent, spirochetes may be identified in the necrotic centers of gummas.

Chronic hematoceles: Hematoceles are commomly dur to trauma, but can als be caused by tumos. If an acute haematocele is not drained, a clotted haematocele usually results and course of time, may get calcified.
It is usually hard/painless and closely resembles testicular tumours

Bilharzial epididymitis and orchitis: causes chronic granulomas that can feel very hard and mimic testicular malignancy.

Tubercular epididymitis and orchitis: can present as irregular, hard scrotal mass.

Brucellosis of the male genital tract: very rare, but when it occurs, can produce a mass in the testis which may be very difficult to distinguish from a testicualr tumor.

Post vasectomy seminal granulomas: can present as hard lumps.

Tense hydroceles: any hydrocele if tense,may feel very hard.

Filarial hydroceles with calcified walls: can resemble testicular tumors clinically.

Testicular actinomycosis: can cause a hard swelling but, presence of sinuses is charecteristic.

You certainly need to have a scrotal ultrasonographic examination which will help in sorting out this issue.