Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Sarcoma

Question: Found a bump on chest and unsure whether this is normal?

lorlasch - Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi There
I am a 21 year old female. About 2 or 3 months ago I found a lump/bump on my chest. It is on my left side , I am not sure but I think on the sternum? It is along the bone under the collarbone, if that makes any sense? It feels hard I believe and is about 3 fingerswide. I have felt the other side of my chest and do not feel anything on that side. I also checked my mom sister and fathers chest and do not feel it on theirs. It has not bothered me except for a dull pain which comes and goes and a little bit of pressure now. I have also had some arm /should and back pain all on the left side (not sure whether this is related). I made an appointment with my doctor but it is not for 2 weeks as she is out of town and I cannot seem to rest about it.Is it normal that maybe it could just be a protruding bone or something?It also seems to feel a little swollen along the bone. (Hope that makes sense) Please any Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:19 pm

User avatar Hi,
Firstly, i would recommend that you refer to these following links where some of us at DoctorsLounge had addressed similar symptoms.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=45165&hilit=+swelling+under+clavicle

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30690&hilit=+swelling+under+clavicle

3 fingers wide is a pretty large lump which makes sebaceous cysts and epidermoid cysts rather unlikely.

Other important differential diagnoses(among several others) that should be thought of are,
- a lipoma,
- a lymphangioma,and
- a cold abscess.

You must show to a doctor soon, so that delays in management are avoided.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us