Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: pelvic ultrasounds and ovarian cancer

perchancetodream - Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi. I have five deaths in my family from colon cancer so have a higher risk for ovarian cancer. I have every last symptom of ovarian cancer, yet some fall into colon cancer.
My doctor says my ovaries were visually examined 14 months ago during a partial hysterectomy and could not develop cancer in that short amount of time. I had an ultrasound but it didn't show my left ovary, which my surgeon assured me I have. My doctor says the ultrasound is fine, but if they can't detect one ovary, how can they be sure there is nothing wrong with it??

linda
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Dear India,

Ultrasound can easily miss visualizing the ovaries...if it's a pelvic and not a vaginal ultrasound. why do you expect that there is something wrong with your ovaries when the doctor said they were fine? and why did you have partial hysterectomy?

u can do a tumor marker called CA 125 it's for ovarian cancer...but sometimes it's not specific , or can be elevated in cases of endometriosis as well. we use it if we found an ovarian mass by ultrasound or CT scan, then use it for follow up.

ask for a vaginal ultrasound of you are worried, and be sure to drink a lot of water before doing it,ok?

best regards,