Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colonoscopy preparation causes extreme pain

debra dees - Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:33 am

I have to have a scheduled colonoscopy because a fical test came out positive. My problem is that the prep is very, extremely, painful. A regular bowel movement can cause pain so bad that I sweat and feel sick and faint. I realize the preps are necessary but any type laxative is very painful. Is there anything I can do? I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but it is too much for me. I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis and IBS. Pleae help me at least understand this problem Gas pains always hurts in the very middle - like by the bladder.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:37 pm

Ask your doctor to prescribe an anti-spasmodic preparation to relieve any laxative-induced spasms. This should be started a few hours before, or with the laxative and continued for at least 24 hours after the investigation.

I hope your pre- and post-colonoscopy periods are devoid of pain.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us