Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph node under arm

pargolfer4 - Tue May 10, 2005 2:28 am

Hi. Bout 5 weeks ago I noticed a bump under my arm that I assumed was a swollen lymph node. It was not very big. about the size of a pea if probably even smaller. It went away after about 2 or 3 days. Just the other day, I noticed another swelling under the same arm. It was a little bit smaller than the first swelling 5 weeks earlier. This one too, went away after about 2 or 3 days.

I normally don't suffer from allergies. However, this year I have been having alergy symptoms such as a slight cough and runny nose. does this have anything to do with causing the swellings perhaps?

Also, the lymph node swellings I have had were not very big did not really hurt, and went away after a few days.. I have always been under the impression that cancerous lymph node swellings would last for a much longer time than just a few days and are much larger than what I have noticed. Am I correct about this?? or could what I have possibly be a sign of something cancerous? Should I be concerned??

Any Advice/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 10, 2005 5:37 am

User avatar Hi pargolfer4,
A recent infection would cause lymph nodes to enlarge/swell. It is quite a normal occurence because lymph nodes are the bodies filtering system for bacteria. After a lymph node enlarges it may not return to it's preinfectious state but does generally reduce in size. When lymph nodes continue to enlarge even despite treatment for example, with a cycle of antibiotics, this would raise concern. In my opinion what you have experienced, is the normal functionality of the body to fight off bacteria. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us