Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Blood blisters in the nipple and Discharge

FaithAnn - Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:06 pm

I'm a 29 year old female. I had 2 lumps removed out my right breast in Nov. of 2004. 2 days ago i noticed a clear discharge from the same breast that i had the lumps removed. I also did a self breast exam and didn't feel any lumps but did notice that my right nipple was really red. It appears to look like i have blood blisters in the nipple. The right nipple burns and is very tender. What should i do??
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:14 am

User avatar Hello FaithAnn,
I think you should get an examination. There are many benign conditions that can cause bleeding from the nipple so it may be nothing to worry about. In that case it could be hormonal, a benign growth (duct papilloma). Generally, the time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening,is only on one side, and/or if it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody. If these symptoms are present a doctor should check you.