Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Node

MSUFanatic - Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:15 pm

A few years ago I noticed a swollen lymph node in my neck on my right side. I didn't think much of it because I was only 13 or so. I am now 17 and the thing is still there. It is pretty hard and not mobile. It seems to go up and down in size depending on times of year. I have allergies and in the Spring time it seems to swell up more than in the winter. I have also noticed that when I exercise the node usually goes down in size dramatically. I have no weight loss I have actually put on a lot of muscle weight since 7th grade to now going into my senior year of High School. I also don't get fatigued easily either and am in very good shape constantly staying active. So I'm curious if I should be worried about this or not? Thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:48 am

User avatar Hi MSUFanatic,
Lymph nodes most commonly enlarge as a result of infection because they are the bodies filtering system for bacteria etc. They may not return to their pre-infectious state even after the infection subsides. I would be more concerned if the area would enlarge and not decrease in size despite treatment or if you had other existing symptoms. I would still however suggest that you have the area evaluated by your physician at your next physical exam to alleviate any concerns.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us