Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph node in neck for a year and a half...serious?

a1142 - Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi. I am a 20yr old female and I have had a small lump on the left side of the back of my neck(right below the hairline) for over a year. I am fairly sure my doctor told me it was a swollen lymph node when I got it checked (which was close to a year ago). Even though when I went to see my doctor it had already been there a month or more, he said it was nothing to worry about. The lump has not grown in size, but I am becoming increasingly concerned because if it was a swollen lymph node due to some infection, I would think for it to have shrunk or disappeared by now. Does anyone know what might be causing this and whether or not this is a serious symptom of something. Other than occassional stiff necks, I can not think of any other symptoms. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:18 am

User avatar Hi a1142,
Lymph nodes may not return to the size they were prior to their pre-infectious state. If it has not changed over the past year I would give this little concern.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us