Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Intermittent diarrhea and constipation

polly82 - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:33 am

Hello,

I'm really worried about change in my bowel habits, and as I saw a lot of information about cancer on the internet i started to worry that maybe my symptoms can be a cause to worry. I'm sorry if I'm just being paranoid, but I'd be really thankful if you could evaluate them and say if I should visit a doctor.

I'm 23 years old female. I started to have problems with my stool four months ago. In June I had diarrhea caused by exam stress, which lasted a month and thats usual for me. But afterwards things hadn't returned to normal as they did in the past. I started having intermittent hard small stools (about 2 sm in diameter) few times each day and really soft normal sized stools (which look like mild diarrhea and have foul smell and some undigested food in them); sometimes I have normal sized hard stools which appear to be made of small pieces glued together. I hadn't have one normal stool since that time. Today after I passed a hard stool I noticed some clear discharge on the toilet paper (i think it was mucus). So now I'm really worried about what it may be. I have stool everyday. I have no pains, indigestion or other symptoms. My bloodtests, which I did not long ago for other reason, are normal except for slightly elevated indirect bilirubin levels which I think doesn't have anything to do with my question but still I list it.

So I wanted t ask if I have to see the doctor with this problem, or am I just being paranoid and should wait till it resolves itself on it's own? I'm just ashamed to ask him since maybe it's a minor problem and I'm just inflating things. Thanks in advance for answering. I'll really appreciate your help.
 angel2close - Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm

Polly, just the fact that you are so worried regarding your change in bowel habits is enough of a reason to see your doctor. Even if you have IBS / Irritable Bowel Syndrome, at least your mind will be put at ease. Worrying / "nerves" alone may cause changes in our bodies physical funcions. See your doctor and make yourself feel better physically and emotionally.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us