Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI Results - nothing can be done

jerandjan - Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I had an CT Scan and now an MRI. The conclusion on the MRI reads:
Dessication of the L2/3, L4/5 and L5/Si discs. Annular disruption at L4/5 associated with central disc protrusion producing thecal and proximal L5 nerve root sheath encroachment. A large more focal lesion at L5/S1 producing significant thecal and proximal right S1 nerve root sheath encroachment. This is no doubt responsible fo the patient's symptoms.

I suffer every day with pain, sometimes not being able to get out of bed, sometimes only just being able to shuffle to walk. Other days I am able to function, but slowly.

I have been given pilates and hydro exercises to do as well as taking many pain medications. I have been told these conditions are not treatable other than perhaps a cortizone injection around the nerves, which would only be very temporary relief.

I would appreciate some feedback, as I do feel that in 2005 that medical advancements to assist with this type of problem must have been developed.

Could someone please give me some hope, as I am just about fresh out of it at this stage.

Thank you

Jerandjan
 TITASGIRL - Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi,
I have had lower back problems and pain as well. I went to a pain management doctor and got a series of 3 epidural injections. They have alleviated a good portion of the pain and most likely in a year I will have to repeat the process, but I would advise trying this.
 jerandjan - Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 am

Hi Titasgirl,
Thank you for your information, and glad to hear you have experience some relief from the treatment. I have an apptmt to see a Neurosurgeon late February and will see what he has to say. I have been doing Pilates exercises and hydrotherapy, both of which I can feel are strengthening me, but the pain persists.
Thanks again.
 TITASGIRL - Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 am

Hi jerandjan,
I also have a consult with a neurosurgeon in about a week and a half. I have 2 herniated discs in L4/L5/S1 as well as spondlyosisthesis. Back pain stinks!!!! I have not heard very good results from back surgery which is why I went for the epidurals and pt first. I also have a herniated disc in my neck, this is all from an accident and the epidurals worked great on that. Anyway I hope your consult goes well and just keep the faith, there is hope :)
 billhead1 - Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Follow this link http://www.bonati.com/
The Bonati Institute- A group of spine practitioners performing minimally-invasive outpatient surgery for people with stenosis and disc problems. Over 24,000 successful procedures since 1986. It's worth a look. I sincerely hope this link ultimately brings you some relief.

jerandjan wrote:I had an CT Scan and now an MRI. The conclusion on the MRI reads:
Dessication of the L2/3, L4/5 and L5/Si discs. Annular disruption at L4/5 associated with central disc protrusion producing thecal and proximal L5 nerve root sheath encroachment. A large more focal lesion at L5/S1 producing significant thecal and proximal right S1 nerve root sheath encroachment. This is no doubt responsible fo the patient's symptoms.

I suffer every day with pain, sometimes not being able to get out of bed, sometimes only just being able to shuffle to walk. Other days I am able to function, but slowly.

I have been given pilates and hydro exercises to do as well as taking many pain medications. I have been told these conditions are not treatable other than perhaps a cortizone injection around the nerves, which would only be very temporary relief.

I would appreciate some feedback, as I do feel that in 2005 that medical advancements to assist with this type of problem must have been developed.

Could someone please give me some hope, as I am just about fresh out of it at this stage.

Thank you

Jerandjan

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us