Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI Results - nothing can be done

jerandjan - Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I had an CT Scan and now an MRI. The conclusion on the MRI reads:
Dessication of the L2/3, L4/5 and L5/Si discs. Annular disruption at L4/5 associated with central disc protrusion producing thecal and proximal L5 nerve root sheath encroachment. A large more focal lesion at L5/S1 producing significant thecal and proximal right S1 nerve root sheath encroachment. This is no doubt responsible fo the patient's symptoms.

I suffer every day with pain, sometimes not being able to get out of bed, sometimes only just being able to shuffle to walk. Other days I am able to function, but slowly.

I have been given pilates and hydro exercises to do as well as taking many pain medications. I have been told these conditions are not treatable other than perhaps a cortizone injection around the nerves, which would only be very temporary relief.

I would appreciate some feedback, as I do feel that in 2005 that medical advancements to assist with this type of problem must have been developed.

Could someone please give me some hope, as I am just about fresh out of it at this stage.

Thank you

Jerandjan
 TITASGIRL - Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:37 pm

I have had lower back problems and pain as well. I went to a pain management doctor and got a series of 3 epidural injections. They have alleviated a good portion of the pain and most likely in a year I will have to repeat the process, but I would advise trying this.
 jerandjan - Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 am

Hi Titasgirl,
Thank you for your information, and glad to hear you have experience some relief from the treatment. I have an apptmt to see a Neurosurgeon late February and will see what he has to say. I have been doing Pilates exercises and hydrotherapy, both of which I can feel are strengthening me, but the pain persists.
Thanks again.
 TITASGIRL - Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 am

Hi jerandjan,
I also have a consult with a neurosurgeon in about a week and a half. I have 2 herniated discs in L4/L5/S1 as well as spondlyosisthesis. Back pain stinks!!!! I have not heard very good results from back surgery which is why I went for the epidurals and pt first. I also have a herniated disc in my neck, this is all from an accident and the epidurals worked great on that. Anyway I hope your consult goes well and just keep the faith, there is hope :)
 billhead1 - Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Follow this link http://www.bonati.com/
The Bonati Institute- A group of spine practitioners performing minimally-invasive outpatient surgery for people with stenosis and disc problems. Over 24,000 successful procedures since 1986. It's worth a look. I sincerely hope this link ultimately brings you some relief.

jerandjan wrote:I had an CT Scan and now an MRI. The conclusion on the MRI reads:

Thank you

Jerandjan