Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Paralysed from the lower back down upon waking

bluecosmicstar - Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:09 am

I have had spinal problems for a number of years now, but as of late when i awake i find i am in considerable pain, and i am paralysed from the lower back down, until i can pull myself over onto my side and ease myself up. I am really getting worried that i will end up in a wheelchair very soon as i am only 34 and have quite an active life, please help me?
 paj1984 - Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:45 pm

I too have lower back pain upon waking a lot, I cannot sit up and have to turn over sometimes onto my knees to get out of bed. Only when i am up right after urinating, the pain seems to ease.

I have never been to the doctor as I just asumed it was maybe my matress or the way i sleep.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone about this :?
 Merri - Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Like you really can't move. If I was in your situation, I'd be seeing dr right way, something could be getting compressed while laying down, many possibilites. I often wake with lower back pain and I know I have some scoliosis but as of late its harder to move in the am and I'm debating calling a dr. I'd make an appt-just my opinion.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us