Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone infections

Question: I was diagnoised with hypoplastic of the Foot

 lashonda_b - Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:02 pm

I have this crisis. My 3rd toe on my right foot is smaller than the 3rd toe on the left foot. I recently went to a podiatrist and he told me it was a birth defect. So he sent me to a bone specialist and he told me that there was nothing he could do about it since it wasn't causing me pain.He told me I had hypoplastic of my 3rd toe on my right toe. But Is there any type of surgery or specialist I can go to to get both of my toes the same length. Its very embarrasing and can doctors lengthen bones in the foot. I am going on vacation this summer and I have to show off my feet. Is there any help for me? If so please let me know ASAP.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:37 pm

User avatar Dear Lashonda_b,

i don't think that i have heard of such procedure.

i would also recommend not to have a surgical procedure done when you don't have any complaints as sugical procedures in addition to their own inherent risks, can also lead to lots of complications even if they appear to be minor.

But if you really want your toes to be equal in length, i would recommed making the longer one shorter.

Thank you very much for using our website

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 lashonda_b - Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:27 pm

so doc, i can't even have reconstructive surgery done to my foot, there's nothing that a podiatrist can do besides making my longer 3rd toe look smaller, can they add a little length to my shorter 3rd toe. Also wuldn't it look funny for my 3,4 and pinkie toe to be similar in length.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:51 am

User avatar Dear Lashonda_b,

i guess you can consult a plastic surgeon about other possibilities but i think that this is not going to be an easy procedure to do as usually reconstructive surgery involves muscle flaps with good dependable arterial supply which is not the case in distal parts of the body such as extremities. In addition there is not enough space for undermining and rotation of the muscle flap in such a narrow space. These procedures are not done by podiatrists, but usually by plastic surgeons and i think that there is a small number of orthopedic surgeons (bone specialists) who can do such procedures.

But i still stand by my first recommendation not to have any unnecessary procedures done.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Michaelii - Sat May 07, 2005 1:00 am

It is most likely that you will be the ONLY ONE to notice your toes.

No one looks at your feet.

Why are you so obsessed with having an unneeded \dangerous proceedure done?

I don't mean to be so uncareing. Tell me your thoughts...

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us