Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: husband suffering for 2 yrs

 serena - Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:08 am

Husband age 35 began symptoms 2 yrs ago with slight abdominal discomfort, now has severe pain for 5/6 days per week, has had all tests, barium studies, endscopy, colonoscopy etc, all normal as are bloods and urine and x rays.Cannot work due to pain which is now progressed to most of his abdomen and groin, ie, testicles and penis. Pain shoots down his leg and he cant walk. Gets tingling in lips and forehead and cannot eat as it brings on sweats but temperature is normal. A doc suggested it cold be a spinal problem, he scaffolded for ten years and lifted a lot of weight, however has had no significant back pain or back problems. Gets a cricked neck often. Morpihine and pethedine have no effect. Has blood in urine sometimes but kidney function has been confirmed normal. Has had CT & MRI but not on spine. Can someone suggest something, as our family life has been shattered, we are at our wits end. Ps.. Had an episode for 24hrs as a teen when legs were paralysed, could it be related.? He also weight lifted prior to becoming ill.
 wvbonnie - Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm not a doctor, but given all the tests he has already been through, and knowing how nerve pain can be, it would certainly be worthwhile to see a neurologist or orthopaedist who can evaluate him for spinal nerve pain if you haven't already. A good physical therapist can also help identify the location of the problem, but you need to look for one who understands spine problems. An MRI can help pinpoint the problems, too.

Nerve problems in the spine cause all kinds of seemingly unrelated pain.

If he is open to the idea you might ask your family doctor about antidepressants to help him manage the chronic pain. And be sure to take care of yourself as well. It can be overwhelming dealing with the chronic pain of a loved one.

Good luck to you and your husband, and God bless.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us