Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: really bad knee pain :(

 andy83 - Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:55 pm

just wondering if anyone can help me out..I had a motorcycle accident on Oct 20, 2005 and had a compound fracture about 3 inches below my knee. I had an IM rod placed in my heres my problem, i'm having excruciating knee pain...pain like i never had before, like enough to make me scream and not able to move my leg and that never happens. I even had some new painkillers prescribed and those don't even do anything..i had knee pain all through the healing months, but never as bad as it is now. Is this normal? Also, my doctor says i had a delayed nonunion, that was back in January...and he also told me that my knee pain could be from my top screw that had apparently moved a bit, like it got loosend up. He said this was fine and just to leave it...i had an xray done last week and the on duty doctor there said it was still nonunion. I've even been using this ultrasound machine since january...but i guess its not helping and it seems the screw has moved a little more. Does anyone know how long you need to wait until the doctors asses whether or not a bone graft may be needed or what can be done to help the knee pain? So far its been around 18 weeks and the bone still hasnt healed.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:48 am

User avatar Hi andy83,
Your symptoms are abnormal. Are you being followed by an Orthopedic specialist? If you are not I would strongly suggest an evaluation.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us