Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: [b]Possible broken wrist?[/b]

beautyfiend - Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:48 pm

Hey,
About a week and a half ago I slipped. I landed on my wrist and with one leg underneath me. My leg was very painful but I didn't really pay any attention to my wrist. My wrist has been fine up until a few days ago when it became a little tender. This morning I woke up in a lot of pain and noticed that my wrist and fingers are a little swollen, I also have limited movement in my wrist.
My question is- does this sound like a fracture? and if so, why has it just become noticible?

If it is broken is there anything else that can be done other than putting it in a cast? The problem I have is, a cast will stop me driving.
If left will this heal itself or will I become hideously disfigured? (well, more so then usual, lol).

Thanks in advance to anyone that gives advice.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:16 am

User avatar Hi beautyfiend,
Sprains may cause swelling, bruising and tenderness as well as fractures. An xray is the only way to absolutely determine if a fracture is present. There are supporting devices other than full casts that may be used when certain types of fractures permit. Untreated fractures may cause complications. I would suggest that you have and evaluation by your physician.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us