Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ULnar Release Post-Surgery Numb Skin..Help

flunkie - Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:26 pm

I had an Ulnar Release operation on Friday (24/2/06). Having removed the bandage and replaced the dressing I have notice that the skin to the left of the scar, covering approximately 3 square inches is completely numb. What is going on? Is this normal? I am really worried becuase this was not mentioned to me as a potential side effect. Can someone let me no if this is likely to be serious damage.

Cheers,

Mike.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:31 am

User avatar Hi flunkie,
It is possible that during this surgical procedure, regardless of how carefully the procedure is done, to have nerve injury to other nerves located in the incision area. Keep in mind that I am not implying that this is the cause of your numbness but that it is one possibility. When you go back into the physician's office be sure to explain your particular symptoms and I am sure he/she will be able to identify the causative factor.