Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Crackling sounds when stretching back

groundrush - Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:06 am

Hi all,

I'm a 36 year old male with a slight curvature of the spine that causes me some discomfort especially after a days work in the office.

I do try to maintain a good posture but I find it very difficult to keep it that way.

the best way to describe it would be to imagine your back being like a bow that you're trying to keep strait, when you relax it curves back again.

Anway.....
I've noticed that over the past couple of years I hear a terrible crackling sound whenever I stretch my back or arch my shoulders & quickly snap back.

it sounds similar to someone crackling their knuckles.

Is this normal or is there something wrong that I should be aware of?

thanks
 groundrush - Fri May 26, 2006 6:31 am

Has anyone else heard of this before?
 groundrush - Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 am

My Doctor still has no idea why I am able to make that crackling sound
I'm now thinking that it has nothing to do with my back but maybe has something to do with my right shoulder instead

I had a bike accident about 15 years ago & injured my collarbone
I have a lump there now & it's a bit weaker than my left side & sometimes I get a little pain if I lean on it for too long.

When I stretch my back my shoulder moves as well & maybe the crackling noises are caused by my collarbone

Does that make sense & should I be concerned about my shoulder?

thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us