Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Crackling sounds when stretching back

groundrush - Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:06 am

Hi all,

I'm a 36 year old male with a slight curvature of the spine that causes me some discomfort especially after a days work in the office.

I do try to maintain a good posture but I find it very difficult to keep it that way.

the best way to describe it would be to imagine your back being like a bow that you're trying to keep strait, when you relax it curves back again.

Anway.....
I've noticed that over the past couple of years I hear a terrible crackling sound whenever I stretch my back or arch my shoulders & quickly snap back.

it sounds similar to someone crackling their knuckles.

Is this normal or is there something wrong that I should be aware of?

thanks
 groundrush - Fri May 26, 2006 6:31 am

Has anyone else heard of this before?
 groundrush - Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 am

My Doctor still has no idea why I am able to make that crackling sound
I'm now thinking that it has nothing to do with my back but maybe has something to do with my right shoulder instead

I had a bike accident about 15 years ago & injured my collarbone
I have a lump there now & it's a bit weaker than my left side & sometimes I get a little pain if I lean on it for too long.

When I stretch my back my shoulder moves as well & maybe the crackling noises are caused by my collarbone

Does that make sense & should I be concerned about my shoulder?

thanks