Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Rib that pops in and out?

rckbtm - Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:44 am

I am a 29 year old female and for the last 6 months or so I have had a popping feeling on my lower left side. I think it is my rib because the popping happens if I push on the very edge of one of my lower ribs. Also if I bend to the side or sit down with my body slightly turned to that side I will get a popping sensation. When it pops in it take my breath away and then it will pop back out again. I thought if I do not touch that area it would go away but now it has been a couple months and it is still happening. It mostly happens when I am laying on my back. If I breathe deep it will push out and if I turn to my side it pops in. This does not happen on the other side of my body. I have never had any trauma to my ribs but I have had a child and I wonder if maybe that got my rib out of place. Any advice would be appreciated
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:08 am

User avatar Hi rckbtm,
I would suggest an evaluation by your physician as well as some diagnostic studies, ie, chest xray, etc.